Skincare 101: Everything You Need To Know About Skincare for Sensitive Skin
We get it. Not only is it a struggle trying to find the perfect skincare routine, but now with the changing seasons, we have to figure out what type of skin we have for the next few months. Normal skin, combination skin, dry skin, oily skin… The list goes on! There are so many types of skin, but the one we will be focusing on today is sensitive skin. More specifically, skincare for sensitive skin.
What is Sensitive Skin?
Sensitive skin is a tricky condition to define. Many people who say they have sensitive skin actually don’t and could be experiencing redness or stinging due to overuse of skincare products. Sensitive skin is skin that gets easily inflamed and is more reactive to certain ingredients or products than an individual with normal skin.
Symptoms of sensitive skin may include:
- Itchy skin
- Blotchy, pink/red skin patches
- In direct heat or sunlight, skin feels tight, turns red or stings
- Experience dryness, flakiness, tight or sore skin
Do You Have Sensitive Skin?
If you feel like your skin is sensitive when you're exposed to certain elements, there are a few quick and easy tests you can do. You can brush your fingers across the side of your face with light to medium pressure and if your skin turns red, it's most likely sensitive. If you notice that the majority of the products you place on your skin cause stinging sensation or redness, there is a chance you have sensitive skin. You can also conduct a patch test on the neck or inner arm prior to using any new products. If skin turns red, do not continue.
Why is Your Skin Sensitive?
There are many reasons why you may be experiencing sensitive skin symptoms. Some of the factors that cause these symptoms are:
- Heredity - sensitive skin can be genetic!
- Hormonal imbalances
- Poor diet
- Environmental factors such as temperature fluctuations, pollution, dryness in the air, etc.
Best Sensitive Skincare Ingredients
There are so many beauty products out in the market. How do you know what is good for sensitive skin? We have you covered! Here are some amazing ingredients to look out for if you have sensitive skin:
- Calendula Extract: ideal for healing redness, acne and sunburn and reducing inflammation
- White Tea Extract: high in antioxidants
- Green Tea Leaf Extract: anti-inflammatory agent, so it will soothe your skin and help prevent redness
- Chamomile Extract: antiseptic and anti-inflammatory abilities that help to decongest clogged pores
- Panthenol: great for red, irritated skin, as it is very soothing
- Allantoin: moisturizing, yet gentle, and non-irritating
Sensitive Skincare Tips
Don’t only focus on the visible redness and not the cause of your skin’s reaction to an external or internal factor! A life-changing tip for our sensitive skin Wander Beauties is to take the time to try and rebalance your skin’s natural protective barrier. It is important to look for a simple and gentle skincare routine that can help to restore your skin’s protective barrier whilst calming and soothing sensitive skin. Make sure to read the ingredient lists of all products, and avoid any harsh chemicals. Sensitive skin can flare up at the slightest provocation so some ingredients to stray away from include phthalates, fragrances, and sulfates.
Always Free Of...
Everything at Wander Beauty is created with skin loving ingredients that are always free of parabens, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, mineral oil, and is cruelty free. We love our Wander Beauties and want the best of the best for our sensitive skin beauties. We recommend that prior to applying a new product, you should conduct a patch test to your neck or inner arm and see how your skin reacts. If your skin turns red, do not continue using it.
Some products we recommend adding into your routine include:
- Dive In Moisturizer: Dive into 72 hours of moisture! This lightweight gel-cream is enriched with pentavitin (saccharide isomerate) and a combination of thirteen fruit extracts for deep, long-lasting hydration.
- Extended Stay Hydrating Mask: A lightweight, yet deeply nourishing multitasking mask enriched with vitamins, antioxidants and fruit extracts for healthier looking skin.
- Drift Away Cleanser: A transforming gel-to-foam cleanser that gently sets even long-wearing makeup and impurities adrift for cleaner, softer feeling skin.
Any more questions about sensitive skin? Message us @wander_beauty!